Most people have the desire to maintain a youthful appearance as the years pass by. However, there are factors that usually make our youthful appearance disappear or diminish as we age.
Damage to our skin from free radicals, losing and regaining weight, the sun’s harmful rays and an unhealthy diet can take its toll on the whole body, and especially its protective outer coating.
Antioxidants, known as phytochemicals, help protect the skin from sun damage and also helps repair the skin if sun damage occurs.
Therefore, one of the best ways to maintain a youthful appearance as you progress into old age is to choose foods high in antioxidants. Eating the right foods is the best way to guard against aging skin, wrinkles and age spots.
Add These Antioxidant Foods To Your Diet Plan
Here are some foods you can include in your anti aging diet.
- Pomegranates – The high levels of vitamin C in pomegranates make them an excellent source for fighting wrinkles. They contain punicalagin and ellagic acid which keeps the body’s collagen healthy – which, in turn, helps your skin appear smooth and wrinkle-free.
- Red Bell Peppers – These brightly colored vegetables are the perfect source for treating your skin to its daily requirement of vitamin C. Vitamin C helps your body absorb moisture which prevents dryness and subsequent wrinkles.
- Fish – Cold water fish are especially helpful for reducing redness caused by skin inflammations such as psoriasis and eczema. Oily fish, such as mackerel and salmon, also contain omega 3 fatty acids to keep moisture in the skin cells which helps strengthen them.
- Avocados – Eating only one avocado every week can help your skin remain hydrated, soft and smooth by serving to maintain the cell membranes of the skin. One a day is even better!
- Kale and Spinach – Look no further than kale and spinach for the phytonutrients and anti-oxidative compounds you need to prevent sun damage and maintain skin firmness. Increase skin elasticity with servings of spinach, which contains beta-carotene and lutein.
- Blueberries – These little blueberries are powerhouses of antioxidants which are needed to provide extra protection from free radicals. Free radicals damage the skin and cause fine lines and wrinkles. Antioxidants can even help protect you from the ravages that emotional stress or over-exercising can cause to the body.
- Green Tea – Drink plenty of green tea to help diminish brown spots, otherwise known as age spots. It’s a healthy brew which contains effective ingredients for preventing the sun and free radical damage.
- Olive Oil – The good fats present in olive oil can keep that youthful glow on your face and provide you with omega 3 fatty acids to improve circulation beneath the skin. Use olive oil in salad dressings and when cooking to keep your skin rosy and healthy.
The truth is that you can spend all the money you have on potions, lotions, creams, and masks, but only if you address the problems from the inside out – with a good healthy diet plan – can you truly hope to keep a youthful appearance.
If you want to remain looking young and healthy, create your own anti-aging diet plan. Add all the foods you need to, such as those mentioned above, and remove the ones that you know are not going to do you any good at all.